Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Happy 7th Birthday, Malcolm!

Today was Malcolm's seventh birthday.  I can't believe how big he is getting!  I like that is he still a bit little too though.  I got a great "last six year old" hug last night when I went in to say goodnight and he was excited to have me come into his class to hand out cherry Italian Ices as a special treat.  For his birthday dinner, he requested going to The Melting Pot for cheese and chocolate, so I didn't have to cook or make cupcakes or anything.  Score!


We didn't have a chance to open any gifts before dinner because Kevin met us at the restaurant straight from work, so we brought the ones the kids' Aunt and Uncle sent.

Dorothy was very happy with her little light-up ball.  I hope the people at the next table weren't too annoyed with her enthusiasm for making it glow and flash.



 He was excited about his new book.  His reading has recently taken off and we "catch" him reading sometimes.  If we suggest reading, he isn't interested, but he's starting to do it on his own.  Yay!



 Malcolm got to choose the flavor of cheese fondu and he picked the basic cheddar and swiss.  It was very good, and nice to try the more basic variety since we usually get whatever their current special is.  Since Dorothy is morally opposed to cheese that is melted, she just ate the dippers plain.  Oh well, more cheese for the rest of us.



 Our waitress brought out a special plate with a candle for him and he was so excited.



 Making a wish.



 Since it isn't right side up in any of the other pictures, here it is before he licked up all of the chocolate.







We ate pretty early, so the place was practically empty, which worked out great.  The staff were all extra nice to the kids and really made Malcolm feel special.  While we were waiting for our table, he and the host had a very in depth conversation about Legos.  I had to wake them both up from a nap to get there on time, and Dorothy was still pretty groggy and a bit crabby, so they brought her a balloon to cheer her up.  After our meal, Malcolm had gone to the restroom wash his hands and face, which were covered in chocolate.  While he was gone, our waitress brought out a little box for him with a chocolate covered strawberry inside.



 Dorothy's favorite part of the meal.  It was too hard for her to reach the chocolate in the pot, so I spooned some onto her plate and she dipped from there.



 He chose the 'smores fondu which was another new choice for Kevin and I.  After the marshmallow fluff is in the pot, they light it on fire and it gets deliciously toasty.  So yummy!



Once we got home it was finally time to open the rest of his presents.  He saw this one before school and had much speculation about what could be in the cylinder.  I guess he was paying attention when they did three dimensional objects in math class.



 He's into baseball right now and is signed up for a few classes in August.  In the meantime, we will practice in the yard.



 Kevin also got in a glove and a couple of baseballs.



 Malcolm and Kevin have been reading The Hobbit and are almost finished.  He's been asking about The Lord of the Rings, so Kevin bought him an illustrated version like he had when he was a kid.



 I really wish the picture was in focus because it shows his total excitement at his final gift.



 He has been wanting this Lego set for a few months now and has been trying to save up his money to buy it, which is hard when you don't have a job or an allowance.



When Malcolm opened the bat, Dorothy eyed it and asked if it was for everybody.  While he was distracted with his new Legos, she put on the mitt, grabbed the bat and a ball, and attempted to throw, hit, and catch all at once.

Malcolm had a great birthday, and we still have one more family activity to go, but it isn't for about a week and a half.


No comments:

Post a Comment