Monday, April 7, 2014

First Baton Twirling Class

Dorothy had her first baton twirling class tonight!  It actually started last week, but she was sick and had to miss it.  I'm not sure which of us was more excited for her class tonight, but it might have been her.  I started taking twirling lessons when I was four too, and I hope she likes it enough to stick with it long enough to get to some of the really fun aspects.

She is the only one signed up for her 4-6 year old class.  The next class has several students in it, but they are 7-11 years old, and the class ends late enough that I'm afraid she would be too tired to pay attention very well.  She will be in class by herself for now (Unless anyone local would like to join us!) so I hope she won't get too bored essentially having a private lesson every week.  The older team girls are also there during her class time, warming up and practicing and she could not stop watching them!  She didn't want to leave when her class was over because they were still practicing.

She didn't use her wrist for the motions, but used her whole arm instead.  She tried really hard though and followed all the directions as best she could.  It's going to take a while for some of this to sink in.



She has just recently "mastered" standing on one foot, so passing under the leg was a bit of a challenge.



Getting ready to drop it behind her back.  She has the right idea, but gravity is quicker than her getting her hands down to catch the baton.



She paid attention really well for being the only one and having the big girls practicing behind her.  I was pretty proud of her.



She carries things under her chin all the time (no, I have no idea why), so she was a natural for this one.



This particular one did not go as planned.


Not a proper salute, but bonus points for cuteness.



After class she wanted to stay and watch the big girls and I had to practically drag her out of there.  One of the big girls gave her a high five after her class, and Dorothy has proclaimed her her friend (but we don't know her name yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment