Friday, July 1, 2011

Deicke Park

At the end of the school year, Malcolm's class had a picnic at Deicke Park.  They rented a shelter near the big kid playground and the super giant slide.  It was nice, but I was curious about the play area on the other side of the park I caught a glimpse of on our way in.  One of his teachers highly recommended it, so I checked for information about it online.  All of the reviews were spectacular, and I'm adding my vote to the list.  What a fun place for toddlers and preschoolers!

We had plans to meet our neighbors there the Monday after Father's Day, but their plans changed at the last minute. We still planned to go, but when we woke up that morning, it was rainy and yucky, so we didn't go either. Take two went much better, even though we were late meeting our neighbors there. It was just one of those mornings.

There is so much for little ones to do here, and it is fenced in, which is a huge bonus. I was able to keep a close eye on Dorothy without worrying too much about what Malcolm was doing. There are lots of benches and bench style swings for parents and I hope to be able to use them once Dorothy is a little older and doesn't need to be followed quite so closely.

The park is divided into sections: sand play, train, fire, basketball, school, swings, pretend buildings, and music. Music is in the center of the play area with the others forming a circle around the outside. The sidewalks are concrete, but the play areas are the rubber mats, which were nice for Dorothy. None of the play structures are very high, so there isn't much to fall from, though she was doing her best.



Malcolm plays in the sand. He loved this table where he could pour sand though openings. He also assisted some older kids who were digging a deep hole and filled buckets and brought them water. I'm not sure they really needed any water, but he was very proud to be helping.



This is the train area with the fire truck behind it. Malcolm spent a large chunk of time pushing the red button on the train crossing to make the lights and sound go, then would run back to the train, shout, "All aboard!" He would then stand at the top of the slide and yell, "Time tunnel! Time tunnel! Hold on to your hats!" Yes, he loves Dinosaur Train.

I tried to get a video of him, but failed miserably.





We didn't use the basketball area, but I thought it looked really neat.



This is Dorothy's determined face. She is climbing on and off of the bench on the school bus. She did it over and over, for quite a while.



Surprisingly, there were no baby swings at the play ground.  There were regular sling swings for bigger kids, and two swing chairs for the physically disabled. The safety straps for these seats are missing, so I had to watch her closely and only let her swing a little bit. The whole park is handicap accessible.



There are three pretend buildings, including this dairy, a barber shop, and a house.



Malcolm, peaking out of the house.



There is a chalk board in the school area (the rest of the school area is behind me). In front of the chalk board is the music area.



Wide shot of the music area. Both kids really liked these panels with the metal balls in them. When they turned the dial, the balls would move up to the top, then fall down through the different paths making rain-like noises.

I didn't realize until we were about to leave that the music notes on the ground make noise when you jump on them. The red post in the middle is a speaker. On the left side of the picture are the drums and maracas. One the right are the bells and whistles.








Dorothy and her little friend, Rowan, sitting on a spring platform. Heavier kids can make it wobble and bounce.



Dorothy insisted on a long snack break. She finally started walking around on her own after I gave in and let her carry around her baggie of Cheerios.

All in all, it was a great day at a great park and we will be going back to play there again.  I have a few videos, and if I can ever get them to upload, I will add them.

No comments:

Post a Comment