Monday, March 12, 2012

Spring Consignment Sale

Yes, it's that time again where I sell off the kids' old stuff and try to find bargains on the things they will need for the next season.  For those of you who have commented on how the kids are dressed, this is how I can afford to have them wear such cute stuff all of the time, and even let them wear it to the playground and in the sandbox.  I only do one of the many consignment sales around.  Growing Cents of Style is who I use because I like that they are picky.  There is less pure junk to wade through like at some of the others I visited a few years ago.  The quality is good and the prices are fair.  This time around , I spent a total of $150.87 and made $193.20 in take home profits, for a net gain of  $42.33.  Hooray for coming out ahead!

My non-clothing score was this indoor/outdoor, double sided acrylic easel for $25! We can even adjust the height so that Dorothy can reach it easier. I love that they will be able to use this outdoors and we can keep the paint mess out of the house. I also love that they can paint directly on the acrylic and it can be just washed off. Their painting style is either to make one mark and declare themselves done (wasting paper) or use so much paint that the paper is saturated and it disintegrates. I have also found a website with lots of neat ideas for acrylic easels and we will have to try some of them out. I had never heard of the Lakeshore Learning company, but they seem to have a lot of really interesting products.


The kids took to the easel right away. I'm so glad I got the one where they can both work at the same time.



Kevin lowered it so that Dorothy could reach it easier, and it is a perfect height.

On half price day, I picked up three hard cover books from the Magic Tree House series for $5.00.  I will probably hold on to these until a Christmas or birthday when Malcolm is reading at that level.  The books look brand new.

As for the clothes, this time, the pickings were a little slim in the 2T girls (very surprising) and the 4-5 boys. I did still find some great things though.


Malcolm's Stash





From left to right:
navy swim trunks with alligators from Gymboree:  $5
red and navy knit shorts from Gymboree:  $3
trains pajamas from Gymboree:  $2
striped, roll-up beach pants from Hanna Andresson:  $7
white leather Keds (new):  $10
brown leather Stride Rite sandals (new):  $10 (these are for next summer and I am hoping they will fit then)




The beach pants are really cute but were washed out in the first photo.  They are light blue with ivory, white, and red stripes.

On half price day, I found two more things for Malcolm:

jeans shorts from Gap: $6
summer pajamas from The Children's Place: $3

I'm glad that I took advantage of some great sales last fall, and bought several shorts/shirt sets for Malcolm that he can wear this summer.  He has a few pairs of shorts from last year that I think will still fit, so I'll just get (or make) him some t-shirts, and he should be all set.  He still needs sandals, but those can wait for now.


Dorothy's Stash


navy sailor dress that appears new:  $5
I love sailor outfits and regret that I never had one for Malcolm.  At five dollars, she can wear it for play and just be cute.



red and white polka dot outfit:  $5
knit navy shorts and orange and white stripe tank from Hanna Andersson:  $6
The shorts and tank will be perfect for gymnastics class and Dorothy's favorite color is orange.


blue and white dress with green polka dot trim from Hanna Andersson:  $7
polka dot tunic top/dress and pink leggins from Hanna Andersson:  $10

Dorothy also got a pair of these brown polka dot shoes for $10. She already has a pair and loves them, and I found a new pair in the next size up, so I bought them. She has worn the first pair a lot and I have been surprised at just how much they go with.

I picked up two pair of Smartwool socks for her for next winter. I have been wanting to try them, but they are really expensive. For $4.00, I'll see how they do.

On half price day, she got some more goodies:

striped pants from Gymboree: $1
striped terry cloth cover up from Zutano: $7

I liked the pants when I saw them the first night, but didn't buy them because there was no top to go with them. While looking on half price day, I happened to see them next to a yellow shirt with a white daisy on it and they looked great together. The yellow shirt was being sold with some white shorts, but both the shirt and the shorts had stains on them, so I put them back. I stopped by Buy Buy Baby on the way home and found a darling plain yellow shirt that matches. I'm going to applique a daisy on the shirt to match the pants. I'll blog photos when it is finished.

The cover up will be perfect for the summer when we spend so much time at the pool and at swimming lessons.  Sometimes things don't dry out in between, so I am happy to have an extra.  



new, with tags, pink gingham smocked dress from Neimen Marcus: $7
watermelon dress from Hartstrings: $3

I am such a sucker for smocking and for anything from Hartstrings. She didn't need either of these, but they were far too cute to leave behind.  I usually pick up a few Janie and Jack items, which I also love, but there wasn't much in that brand this time.  I guess I'll just have to go to their store and shop in person.

1 comment:

  1. I love your consignment sale posts! For whatever reason, there was a small selection of 2t at all the sales I went to last year. I'm excited to shop for Teddy this year because there's always tons of baby sizes!

    ReplyDelete