Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Mr. Steve

We love our local library and are usually there a couple of times a week.  They have some great programs for kids and, of course, we check out lots of books.  The children's department has really expanded since Malcolm was born four years ago and the ladies there are all very nice know us by sight.  I think some of them even know the kids' names.  I'm not really sure of the details, but the library won some sort of a contest sponsored by PBS Kids and Jet Blue.  They will be getting $10,000 worth of Random House Children's books and today there was a special program with some of the characters from PBS Kids.  They had Hooper (A hamster? who does little educational promos between shows), Super Why (I have no idea who this is), and Mr. Steve (who sings songs between some of the shows).  Malcolm loves Mr. Steve and always wants to watch the parts he is in when they happen to be on. It took a little reorganizing of our schedule, but I decided that I thought hte kids would enjoy it, so I took Malcolm out of school a little early and scheduled a make-up class for Dorothy for gymnastics and took the kids to the special program at the library.

They were both a little overwhelmed, but enjoyed themselves. There were a lot of people there and it was a little louder than they are used to, but they both did great.

Hooper.  Both kids wanted nothing to do with either of the costumed characters.



Super Why.  Malcolm is on the far right in a black sweater vest.  Mr. Steve and David Carter are the first two people sitting against the far wall.



Malcolm waiting for it to start with Mr. Steve's guitar, Woody, int he background.



The first guest was David Carter who is a children's book author and illustrator. He read a few of his pop-up books to the kids, and they all got a copy of Lots of Bots which Malcolm had to read before nap time.

David Carter reads his book, "Lots of Bots."



David Carter also did some drawings based on kids' suggestions.  Malcolm suggested something, but I couldn't hear him because I was too far away.



Next up was Mr. Steve who I thought Malcolm would be super excited about. He was a great listener and stood or sat when asked, but he didn't really participate beyond that. He took it all in though. At the very end, Mr. Steve invited the kids to come up on the stage with him, but Malcolm didn't want to. He sat in his spot and listened to the song, but kept a safe distance. Dorothy had made me hold her the entire time we were there, but then wanted down to join the other kids up on the stage.

Mr. Steve takes the stage.



Mr. Steve, singing a song while Malcolm stands, frozen on the spot.



Dorothy makes her way to the stage.



She made it!






Mr. Steve walked around a bit during his song while the kids were on the stage.  Sorry the camera work isn't better.  I was far away, and people kept getting in front of me.




Once it was all over, it quieted down pretty quickly as most of the kids were eager to leave and see Hooper and Super Why who were out in the main part of the children's library.  Dorothy got a little one-on-one time with Mr. Steve, but Malcolm hung back and was feeling shy.


Yes, she insisted on wearing her necklace today.  You can't see them here, but Mr. Steve liked her shoes (which she also picked out) and said that his daughter has a pair just like them.



I'm glad we went, even if the kids were overwhelmed at times.  Neither cried, but Dorothy was mighty suspicious of that giant hamster and practically climbed me to get away from him.  When Super Why asked them for a high five, they both declined.

1 comment:

  1. I posted a link to the local news story over at http://progeneering.blogspot.com .

    ReplyDelete