Malcolm got his first tiny taste of Star Wars today and it was hilarious to watch. I should probably mention that I have a pretty strict no violence towards people policy when it comes to play, but have never really had to bring it up with Malcolm because he has never thought to try to sword fight or shoot anything when he plays. We do not own any toy weapons of any kind and he has never made or pretended that anything is a weapon. We don't watch a lot of TV and the two shows he is familiar with are so gentle, they boarder on comatose. The "adult" movies he has seen are musicals, rather than action movies, so he doesn't have much frame of reference to figure out what exactly a light saber is.
I took the kids to the play area at the mall to run a round a bit and there were hardly any other kids there; just a couple of babies and one boy who seemed just a little older than Malcolm. The boy might not be five yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was. The two boys were playing a bit together when the other boy started doing some light saber moves. Malcolm watched him carefully, and mimicked him slightly, in what could only be described as an interpretive dance. He waved his arms around, balanced on one foot, then ended with a spin to the ground. I have seen him do these same moves when he is "dancing" for me.
A little later, the other boy is telling Malcolm that he has a red light saber and asks Malcolm what color his is. Malcolm answers, "Mine is a rainbow one!" accompanied by quite a hand flourish.
He had fun playing with the other boy, but he still has no clue what they were doing. I think that Malcolm's version of Star Wars would be pretty fabulous. I can picture it as an all male musical.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment