For Dorothy's birthday, Kevin and I got creative and built her a play kitchen. I wrote about making it in my other blog here. She is too little to pretend to cook, but she loves taking things in and out of the oven.
Here is what the kitchen set looks like:
I had big plans to make Dorothy a new dress for her birthday. I had bought the fabric, and knew exactly how I wanted it to look. We were down to the wire to finish her kitchen, so I did not start on the dress until the evening of the 23rd. I was up late, and it still wasn't finished. I sewed the arm hole shut and added the button holes and buttons the morning of her birthday. I'll take better photos of the dress and tell the story in full detail in my craft blog soon. For these pictures, the dress had been complete for about five minutes.
She was a little unsure about how to go about opening her presents. Luckily, she has an older brother who was more than willing to help her out.
She really liked the curly ribbon.
The other bows were silly too.
After presents, it was time for cake!
After the birthday festivities, it was time to move on to preparing for Santa. This was the first year that Malcolm was old enough (and I wasn't in the hospital) to leave cookies for Santa.
He carried the plate very carefully while I carried the glass of milk.
I took pictures of the tree and stockings that night just in case someone went downstairs before we were awake and helped himself a bit.
We almost had an early catastrophe when Malcolm claimed Dorothy's and my stockings as his own. Once he started looking in his though, all was forgotten.
While opening stockings, we also ate some danish which was a real treat for both kids.
Dorothy begged for lots of danish and Grandpa was more than happy to accommodate her.
Malcolm got two ornaments which he put right on the tree. One was a red tricycle and the other was this red tractor. He later opened a red scale tractor scale toy that is just like the one he got to drive this past summer with uncle Ted.
We all received little retractable tape measures in our stockings. Malcolm enjoyed measuring everything in sight, including his sister's head.
It was a big day, and Malcolm enjoyed having a little quiet time reading with daddy.
No comments:
Post a Comment