Thursday, September 9, 2010

Second Day of School

So, the second day did not go as smoothly as the first.  Malcolm did not want to get dressed this morning, then when it was time to leave, he decided that he must have some of the uncut cantaloupe from the counter right now!  Once I got him outside (without any cantaloupe), he wanted to ride his tricycle to school (no) then he wanted to walk way, way in front of me (also no due to cars and crossing streets).  Since he wasn't getting his way, he decided that he just wasn't going to walk at all, so I had to take him by the arm and practically drag him down the street while he sobbed.  Of course we passed one of our neighbors out walking her dog who gave me a sympathetic look.  I'm glad we are on good terms with her and she has kids and grand-kids, so I'm sure she understood.

After about a block, Malcolm tells me that he, "Just needs a hug," so we stopped for a minute and hugged.  He was perfectly fine after that and cheerfully walked the rest of the way to school.  We did have a small negotiation about how he needed to be the one to carry his backpack in to school, but he gave up that fight easily once his teacher greeted him.

Again at pick-up he wanted to stay and was very tired.  I think next week I will bring the sit-and-stand stroller so he can ride on the way home if he needs to.  School is wearing him out.  He had another huge lunch and got to have some of the cantaloupe that was needed so badly this morning.

I did not get many more details today, but he was a little more specific with some things:

He had grapes, apples, and banana for snack.
He has made friends with boys and girls, but still doesn't know any names.
He still likes the sandbox best during outside time.

No comments:

Post a Comment