The kids had a half day of school yesterday, so we hit the apple orchard in the afternoon. A couple of weeks ago, this seemed like a good plan. We haven't made it to the orchard in a couple of years, and I hate going on a crowded weekend. Unfortunately, even though it was the first day of Fall, it was over 90 degrees, and a bit too warm for spending a few hours at the orchard (and having hot apple cider).
I probably broke a few child labor laws when both kids decided that they were done picking apples with their baskets about 3/4 full. Since I had already paid, and it is by the basket, not by the pound, by golly, they were going to finish filling those baskets. Originally, they did not want my help picking apples, but both agreed to let me help them finish up.
I insisted on one photo right when we got there since it was so hot, I was sure they would be uncooperative later. Originally, they said that they didn't want to play first, but that didn't last long. We only did about 15 minutes of climbing and running through the maze before heading out to pick apples.
Before we went picking, I tried to convince them to sit for one more photo, with the orchard sign, but they were already getting over heated and crabby. Only one kid was willing to sit and smile.
Malcolm perked up during the picking; at least for a little bit.
Evidently, everyone was wanting only the Honeycrisp apples. They guy showing us where we could pick was shocked when I said we wanted a variety. We ended up with Honeycrisp, Empire, and lots of Gala, because Malcolm says those are his favorite. Before heading out to the orchard, we sampled a few apples inside the barn, and I now have a new favorite; Pixie Crunch. They rarely show up in grocery stores, and they don't allow them to be picked here, but I bought a small bag to bring home. I had one for breakfast the next morning.
He's tall enough to reach much higher than in previous years. There were a few times where I saw some nice apples up high, and instead of picking them myself, I could just show Malcolm, and he could get them.
Dorothy is no slouch in the reaching department either. Both kids are getting very tall.
It wasn't too hot to be goofy.
Our haul. I'm so glad I brought the wagon. Those baskets get heavy, and the wire handles can really cut into your hands. We had to walk a good way down the rows because the varieties that were ready to pick had been stripped clean on the trees closest to the parking area.
Once we had our apples, it was time for cider and doughnuts. I talked Dorothy into a quick picture on the pink tractor though. That cold cider was very good, and I'm not really a cider person.
The heat was tough, but we still had a fun time. We would have stayed longer and lingered a bit if the weather was more Fall-like, but we have lots and lots of apple now. I'm going to make an overnight caramelized apple oatmeal for Monday morning (I love being able to just spoon up breakfast on school days), there are plans for some apple pies, and we have caramel for dipping our apple slices in. Once it cools down a bit, I'll probably can some applesauce too. Yum!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment