It's the first day of summer break, and we really did it up right today!
It was the kids' first trip to Starved Rock State Park. Kevin and I stayed at the lodge for our second (I think) anniversary. Our 19th anniversary is in just four days, and it seemed right to be back. Unfortunately, Kevin couldn't be with us. He's been out of town for a little bit, and I felt like the dog was being a bit neglected. Until he left, I hadn't realized just how often one of us is home. Poor Rory has had some extra time in his house and was getting a bit stir crazy. I thought he could use a good day of hiking as much as the rest of us.
At the top of Starved Rock. I wasn't sure how Rory would do with the stairs, but he was a real trooper. He was so excited he could barely contain himself.
The kids loved looking through the viewer and checking things out. I appreciated that it wasn't one that took quarters, so they could keep switching turns for a long time.
After climbing to the top, we then went down into a couple of the canyons. Rory loved the hiking part, but wasn't so sure when we were trying to get into the base of the canyon. Malcolm scurried right over the sandstone rocks and disappeared around the corner, out of sight. Dorothy climbed up, then got stuck. Meanwhile, I was trying to convince a reluctant Corgi to climb through some running water. He started in, then though better of it and came back down again. He did climb up to this little shelf, and seemed pretty pleased with himself. After a while, everyone did manage do climb up, and get to the base of the canyon. It was totally worth it.
Sometimes, there isn't much water coming over the canyons, but we were very lucky. Today, there was lots of water running in all the canyons we made it to. We have agreed that we want to come back in different seasons to see how different they look. In the summer, there is no water at all, and in the winter, some of the canyons have ice falls.
Rory was very popular at the park today. Lots of people stopped and asked to pet him, and a Japanese family took a ton of pictures of him. A British family stopped to talk to us for a bit, and he made friends with the tiniest beagle puppy I have ever seen. I definately talked to more people than we would have without a dog.
Rory had a hard time climbing in and out of the canyon. As we were waiting for a bottleneck to clear on our way out, and other dog, with much longer legs, came up. The other dog made it look so easy, and poor Rory looked a bit envious.
Every so often, the kids would feel the need to climb up on something as we walked along.
We got a little turned around, so we hiked longer than planned. Lunch was a much needed break. I was happy to find a picnic table near the visitors center (indoor restrooms) and away from the large school groups.
After lunch, we walked around and looked at some of the chainsaw sculptures near the lodge. We really like the "Fox Ridge" area.
Each kid picked a favorite fox, and wanted me to take "an alone" photo of them.
This is how Malcolm would like to spend his day with a cat.
We started another hike to a different set of canyons, but turned around when I heard thunder. I had check the weather, and it said 0% chance of rain. However, we ended up in a picnic shelter waiting out the thunderstorm. The rain slowed a bit, so we ran back to the car, then I popped into the cafe because they carry the kind of coffee I really like. The kids had been troopers, so I hot them each a hot chocolate. Rory was muddy, wet, and tired out. That was enough treat for him.
We have decided to go back soon to finish our rained out hike. I wasn't sure how having two kids and a dog by myself would go, but they all did great.
No comments:
Post a Comment