In November, we went to a local retro video arcade for Kevin's birthday. Ever since then, Malcolm has insisted that he wanted to have his birthday party there. This place doesn't usually do parties for kids under 8, but agreed to host us if we had a one-to-one parent/child ratio. I had a lot of really cute ideas for video game themed accessories and decorations, but May is a crazy month, and most of it did not get done. What I did get finished, was painting video game characters onto folding stools for the kids. Most of them were not quite tall enough to reach the games comfortably, so everyone got a stool to use then take home.
I stopped in the arcade last week to let them know how many people were coming and discovered that they had quite a bit of water damage from some recent rains. They had a good portion of the main floor fenced off and had moved games into the party room area. We decided to go ahead and have the party anyway and it turned out great.
Dorothy really went for Kangaroo, though she didn't quite have the coordination to move, jump, and dodge projectiles. It didn't seem to bother her though. Those are little space invaders on her skirt, and there is a big one on her shirt. I also made Malcolm a Space Invaders shirt, but didn't get any good pictures of them. I'll get some photos and show them on my sewing blog soon.
Lots of friends and their parents playing games for the first time. At first, the parents had to help a lot, but after a while, the kids had it figured out and were playing mostly on their own.
I loved how many dads came to this party. I think they had as much fun as the kids.
Emma loves Galaga. Actually, I think her favorite thing was the five steps that divided the main level and where the party room had been.
Malcolm was pretty good at centipede and managed to clear a couple of levels. It was one of my favorites as a kid too.
Malcolm and Addie (the only girl who could make it) playing centipede and millipede. The stools got them up to just the right height.
Malcolm and Dorothy playing Samurai Showdown together. She beat him at least once thanks to her button mashing.
Pizza break! The chain link is blocking off the water damaged part of the facility. Not perfect, but it worked out fine.
We had a little trouble getting (and keeping ) the candles lit since fans were on to try to keep things cooler.
Things got quite once the cupcakes came out.
I was really nervous when I saw the damage to the building and that several of their games were not back yet (no room), but I'm glad we went ahead and had the party there anyway. I think the kids had a good time, and it was a little different than some of the other parties we have done. It was a great group of kids and parents, and everyone played very well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment