Sunday, March 10, 2013

Spring Consignment Sale

This weekend was the Spring consignment sale, where I sell off the kids' outgrown things and try to find bargains for the sizes they are growing into.  It was a little hard to get into the mindset of spring and summer clothes shopping with the cold temperatures and a snowstorm on Tuesday that had the sale rescheduling drop off appointments and the schools were closed.  I now feel like we probably have enough to cobble together some outfits for the transitional weather and have more than enough (probably way too much) for summer.

First up, here is what I found for Malcolm:

Two pairs of summer pjs.  The green, "Goin' Bananas" ones are from Gymboree ($5) and the jungle animal ones are from Gap ($4 ).  He's going to need a couple of other pairs of summer pjs, but this is a good start.  I'm hoping to get out to the Hanna Andersson outlet sometime, and can hopefully pick up a pair or two of theirs.



A bit boring, but I'm sure that he will wear plain white polos for something.   I'm always looking for a white shirt to layer under things in the winter, so they can be used for that, if nothing else.  The short sleeve one is from Hartstrings and I got it for half price on the last day, so it was only $2.50.  The long sleeve one is from Gap, I bought on the first night and it was $2.00.



These three pieces from Hartstrings were sold together as a lot.  I don't remember even seeing them the first night I was there, so was very happy to find them on sale for half price.  It was $7.50 for all three.  I'm not super crazy about the brown plaid shirt, but it might be really cute with the right sweater or sweater vest.  I love Hartstrings and found lots of things from them, for both kids, this time around.  Malcolm can really wear a sweater vest, so I snap them up when I find nice ones.  The vest and blue shirt are new with tags.



 The striped shirt is from Hanna Andersson ($7.00) and is heavier than a t-shirt, but not quite as heavy as a sweatshirt.  It's a good medium weight to have, and can be layered for colder weather.  The pjs are from Gymboree ($5.00).  He is in need of plain cotton long sleeve/long pant pjs right now, so these are great.  He wants to wear them tonight, but they need to go through the laundry and won't be dry in time.



I bought both of these on half price day.  (Man, do I love half price day.  Every year, I wonder if I should bother, and every year, I find some great things.)  The grey sweater vest is from Gap and was $3.00.  The polo shirt is from Ralph Lauren and was also $3.00.  I figure that he can wear the polo shirt for St. Patrick's Day, then I can pair it with some light pants he has to get him through the warm/cool Spring weather.



Malcolm also got a few odds and ends.  The plaid Tommy Hilfiger shoes look like they have never been worn and were $9.00.  They have a bit of padding across the achilles tendon, which is the one thing he likes in shoes.  The blue and green stripe Club Room tie is new with tags ($6.00).  When I was looking for a tie for him, I couldn't find one I liked.  Hopefully, this one will work the next time he needs one.  Malcolm is just getting into reading, and I found this set of level 1 dinosaur books for $4.00.  I think they will go into his Eater basket.


Dorothy is always so much easier to buy for.  The problem is that I have several things I would like to make for her, so she doesn't really need a whole lot.  That didn't stop me from buying things though. 



The color looks a bit off on my screen, but the jacket is a fuchsia trench coat with a hood ($6.00)  it is nice and light weight, so should be great for those damp Spring days.  The white cardigan is from Sweet Ivy ($5.00) and is a nice light weight.  It should layer over almost any outfit.



I loved these light weight Gap roll up pants and had to have them for only $2.00.  Malcolm had several similar pairs, and they are just perfect for springtime.  I bought the ruffled Janie and Jack top ($6.00) to go with them.  I'm not sure if I will like the ruffle style top on Dorothy, but she is in love with it and wants to wear it right now.  The navy whale shirt is from Gap and just really sweet and cute.  I might not fit right away because the size says it is a 4, but it doesn't look super big.  I'm thinking it might have shrunk if the previous owner put it in the drier.  It was only $1.50 on half price day, so I went ahead and got it.  If it is big now, hopefully she can wear it later.



The photo does not do justice to the red Hanna Andersson dress.  It looks brand new, and has such fun colors.  I splurged a bit on it at $8.00, but I just love cotton knit dresses on her.  The pink capri leggings and the white shorts are both from The Children's Place and were sold together as a set for $3.00.  The pink, matches a pink in the red dress, and I figure that the white can be worn under just about any dress.



These are two dresses from Hartstrings.  The first is a reversible dress with a matching sweater.  It was my most expensive purchase at $9.00 for the set.  It looks brand new, and she had a similar dress last summer that was so cute on her.  The pink and orange pineapple dress is new with tags and I bought it on half price day for only $4.00.  Since orange is Dorothy's favorite color, I'm sure she will love it.



The blue dress is from Hanna Andersson, and was only $4.00.  Dorothy spotted it the morning after I bought it and insisted on wearing it that day.  I usually wash everything first, but she loved it so much (it's her first "twirly" dress) that I let her.  Luckily, she had a plain white long sleeve shirt and some white leggings clean to layer under it to make it weather appropriate.  I bought the white dress from 77 Kids on half price day for $2.50.  She really doesn't need another dress, but she looked so good in her white dresses last year that I couldn't resist this one at that price.  It is super light weight and should be nice and cool in the heat of the summer.



These two shirts from Jillian's Closet were sold together as a set for $3.00.  They should be cute with some plain pants/capris or with her demin overall dress.



These are just a couple of basics.  The denim capris are from Gap ($3.00) and the purple bike pants are from Hanna Andersson ($1.50 on half price day).  I don't have anything for the purple pants to go with, but I'm sure i will find something.  The Hanna bike pants wear like cast iron.




Dorothy is in desperate need of bathing suits for summer, but I don't know if we will ever find ones that will fit her.  Her bottom half is so tiny, that nothing covers her.  I think I'm going to have to take in any suits she has.  The Land's End suit is a two piece, pink with white polka dots.  I bought it on half price day for $2.00.  The Hartstrings, patriotic suit is labeled as a size 4, but they tend to run a bit small.  If it is too big this year, I'll save it for next year.  On half price day, it was $2.50, and it looks brand new.



Lastly, I bought Dorothy some shoes and socks.  The navy Mary Janes are by Keds and were $4.00.  The turquoise blue shoes with white flowers are ugly, but she was disappointed that some similar ones no longer fit her ($3.00).  They will be fine for going to the pool.  The tan suede Mary Janes are from Payless and should fit her by the Fall ($5.00).  When I was looking for shoes like this I couldn't find any.  She is going to love having orange socks.  They are new, from Gymboree, and were sold as a set.  I bought them on half price day for only $1.00.

Overall, I'm happy with what I bought, now to wait and see how much of my stuff sold.








No comments:

Post a Comment