Saturday, May 12, 2012

Malcolm Turns Five!

Malcolm turned five last week, and I still can't believe how grown up he is getting.  On the day of his birthday, my parents, aunt and her husband were here visiting.  My cousin and her family came out that evening to celebrate with us.  A few weeks ago I asked Malcolm what kind of cake he would like for his birthday, but he said that he wanted to go out for ice cream sundaes instead.  Perfect.  We ordered in pizza and went out for sundaes.  It was almost no work on my part, and I'm OK with that.


We opened presents that morning so that the kids could play with them during the day.  Here is Malcolm, eager to get started.



Dorothy was very good about letting him be the one to open all of the gifts, but she also kept a close eye on him in case he missed anything.  She never tried to grab or open things herself, but she really wanted to.


New jump rope.





These are little electric tea lights.  For months, when I would ask him what he wanted for his birthday, this was all he would ask for.  When he opened them, he exclaimed, "I've wanted these my whole life!"




New grain wagon to go with his tractor.  He was a bit jealous at Christmas when his sister got a tractor with a discer.  He already has a tractor, so this was just the implement to go with it.



We went to a birthday party the week  before and he had mentioned Gogo's on the way there.  At the party,
the birthday boy opened a package of Gogo's and all of the kids were highly impressed, while all of the parents were simply bewildered.  I bought him a small set of Gogo's and he was quite thrilled with them.  His real gift is two new swings (skateboard swing and two seater swing) for the play set and a rope and bucket with a pulley to haul treasures up to the top, but they were not going to get here in time for his birthday.  I bought these as a small something to open, and he is so excited by them.  I still don't get it, but I'm not a five year old boy.



Dorothy was a bit less thrilled with all of the the attention that was given to her brother.

 After pizza that night, we loaded up and went to a local place for some ice cream sundaes.  I guess since it was a frozen custard place, they were custard sundaes.  Either way, they were very tasty.


Dorothy has recently mastered swinging at gymnastics and  now likes to practice it every chance she gets.  While waiting for us to all order, she grabbed a hold of the counter and began swinging.  No, her feet are not on the ground.  I took a quick picture before telling her to knock it off.



Malcolm ordered a vanilla custard with crushed Oreos and gummy worms.  It sounds terrible to me, but he ate it very quickly and seemed to enjoy it.


Malcolm, Dorothy, and their cousins enjoying their sundaes.  I had a plain chocolate fudge on vanilla, but we need to go back so that I can try some of their other option.  Kevin and my dad had the butter pecan and said it was very good.  There is only one flavor per day, besides chocolate and vanilla, and we were there on butter pecan day.  The store is moving soon and will be in walking distance for us.  I could be in trouble.

Dorothy gets every last drop.
It was a very fun day and I am glad that we were able to celebrate with just family.  I think Malcolm had a great day and was very happy playing with his new toys and his cousins.




No comments:

Post a Comment